As you indulge in all that summer has to offer, don’t forget to watch what you eat! It’s so easy to lose track of your food but don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Check out these 10 simple recipes for healthy summer snacks.
1. Fro-Yo Fruit Bites
Ingredients: 1 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1/4 cup whole milk, 2 tsp. honey, 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup strawberries, quartered, 1/2 cup raspberries
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, milk, honey and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- In an ice tray, distribute fruit in each of the cube molds.
- Spoon yogurt mixture over fruit, filling molds completely. Freeze for 5 hours, or until frozen solid.
2. Buffalo Chicken Celery Boats
Ingredients: 1/3 cup Frank’s hot sauce, 2 tbsp. mayonnaise, kosher salt, Freshly ground black pepper, 2 cup shredded rotisserie chicken, 4 stalks celery, cut into 3″ pieces, 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, Ranch, for drizzling, chives, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together hot sauce and mayo and season with salt and pepper. Pour over shredded chicken and mix to combine.
- Spoon chicken mixture into celery boats.
- Top with blue cheese, drizzle with ranch and garnish with chives.
3. Cowboy Caviar
Dressing Ingredients: 1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil, 1/3 c. lime juice, 3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, 1 tbsp. hot sauce (such as Cholula), 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. kosher salt
Salad Ingredients: 1 c. black beans, 1 small red onion, finely chopped, 1 c. corn, 1 c., cherry tomatoes, quartered, 1 c. black eyed peas, 2 orange bell peppers, chopped, 1 avocado, chopped, Corn chips, for serving
- In a small bowl, make dressing: Whisk together olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, hot sauce, cumin, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Toss with dressing until well combined.
4. Sweet Potato Toast
Ingredients: 1 large sweet potato, rinsed and scrubbed clean, desired toppings
- Slice sweet potato lengthwise into 1/4″ thick slices.
- Insert slices into toaster (as you would bread) and toast on high. Check the sweet potatoes after it pops up from toaster. (It’s ready when you can easily pierce a fork into the flesh, it’s ready.) Continue toasting until tender, if necessary. If the toast is darkening too quickly, turn down the toaster setting to medium.
- Top as desired and serve immediately.
5. Bang Bang Broccoli
Ingredients: 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tbsp. sweet chili sauce, 1 tbsp. sriracha, Juice of 1 lime, 2 large broccoli heads, cut into florets, kosher salt, Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425º. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, sweet chili sauce, Sriracha and lime juice.
- On a large baking sheet, toss broccoli in sauce until fully coated. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast until slightly charred and tender, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
6. Zucchini Nachos
Ingredients: 3 large zucchini, sliced into 1/2″ rounds, 1 tsp. cumin, 1/4 tsp. chili powder, 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika, kosher salt, Freshly ground black pepper, 1 1/2 c. shredded cooked chicken, 1 c. Shredded Monterey Jack, 1/2 red onion, chopped, 1 avocado, cubed, Pico de Gallo, pickled jalapeños
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place sliced zucchini on a large baking sheet in a single layer. Toss with olive oil, cumin, chili powder and paprika then season with salt and pepper. Bake until slightly tender, 5 minutes.
- Keep zucchini rounds on the baking sheet and top with shredded chicken, monterey jack and red onion. Bake until the cheese is melty and the chicken is warmed through, about 10 more minutes.
- Top zucchini nachos with avocado, pico de gallo and pickled jalapeños.
7. Crispy Green Bean Fries
Ingredients: 1 lb. green beans, trimmed, 1 1/2 c. bread crumbs, 2 tbsp. olive oil, kosher salt, Freshly ground black pepper, 1/2 c. flour, 2 eggs, 2 tbsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and olive oil and toss until evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.
- Working in batches, dredge green beans in flour, then dip green beans in eggs and toss in bread crumbs. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and bake until golden and crispy, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve with any dip desired
8. Buffalo Roasted Cauliflower
Ingredients: 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets, 1/4 c. buffalo sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a large baking sheet, toss cauliflower with buffalo sauce. Roast until tender crispy, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once.
- Pour into festive dish and serve warm.
9. Reese’s Amazeballs
Ingredients: 1 medium-sized banana, mashed, 1/2 c. peanut butter, 1/2 c. ground flax seed, 2/3 c. old-fashioned oats, 1 tbsp. cocoa powder, 2 Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mixing with your hands to combine. Roll into 1-inch balls.
- Place dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
10. Kale and Artichoke Dip
Ingredients: 1 1/2 c. finely chopped kale, 1 tbsp. olive oil, Juice of 1/2 lemon, kosher salt, Freshly ground pepper, 2 c. Greek yogurt (preferably 2%), 1/4 c. mayonnaise, 1 tbsp. honey, 3 green onions, finely chopped, 1/3 c. finely chopped red pepper, 1/2 carrot, grated, 2 garlic cloves, minced, 1 1/2 c. finely chopped artichoke hearts, Pita chips, for serving
- Massage kale with your hands to soften the kale and infuse the flavor of the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the rest of ingredients in a large bowl or serving vessel. Fold in chopped kale and check for seasoning. Serve with pita chips.
Head to the nearest store to pick up the ingredients you need for your homemade summer snacks. Ensure that you get there safely when you visit James Hodge Dodge for all your vehicle’s needs! Browse our inventory, and visit our website for more information!